League of Women Voters
Indiana County League of Women Voters
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
- We care about democracy: citizens need to understand how government works at all levels and what their role is in making sure our elected representatives are responsive to the will of the people.
- We care about elections: every eligible citizen should be registered to vote and urged to go to the polls on election day.
- We care about voter information: prospective voters need unbiased, accurate information on issues and candidates in every election.
- We care about government: meetings of governing bodies at all levels must be open to the public and their records easily reviewed.
- We care about education: every child should have access to good quality public education which provides equal opportunity for all.
- We care about issues: local, state, regional and national. We study issues, come to agreement on positions, encourage legislation supporting our positions.
Recent LWVIC studies include health care, environmental protection, tax reform, education funding, diversity, election reform.